East coast Cruising Association
On the East coast we are very fortunate to have a friendly and active Cruising Association, with regular meetings in Suffolk, Essex and Kent. Although there are many advantages to being a member many of the talks and events are also open by advance booking to non-members. Below is a list of the upcoming Kent Cruising Association events, please contact them if you would like to attend.
The Kent Cruising Association winter evening talks take place on the 2nd Thursday of each month at the Dog & Bear Hotel, The Square, Lenham, Kent ME17 2PG. The meetings begin at 19:00 for those that would like to eat and the talks begin at 20:00. All are invited to these excellent talks which are held at the Dog and Bear, Lenham, near Maidstone. It’s a good idea to book a meal on 01622 858 219 for before the talk and a special CA 8-choice menu is available for £9.95.
Thursday, 10th November 2016 – The Royal Navy Presentation Team
- A dynamic presentation aimed at informing and increasing knowledge of the work of the Royal Navy during which they will explain what the Royal Navy does today and why. This will include briefing you on the modern fleet, their people, current and future capability, with time allowed for questions.
Thursday, 8th December 2016 – Modern Weather Forecasting – Mark Rogers
- With mince pies and mulled wine – Mark Rogers from the Meteorological office will update us on modern weather forecasting. Weather is something that affects every mariner, can you read the clouds, do you know what is a synoptic chart and how will it help you?
Thursday, 12th January 2017 – A Whistlestop Tour of Europe – Clifford Mickleburgh
- Clifford will tell of his whistle stop tour of Europe with Charlie. Heading from the Netherlands, north to Copenhagen and then south through the Kiel Canal, Frisian Islands and the European rivers and canals to Switzerland before heading back down the Rhine through Germany to Friesland in the Netherlands. You will hear lots of interesting things, including about the boat lifts and the inclined planes!
Thursday 9th February 2017 – Chatham Historical Dockyard – Scott Belcher
- Scott, the Curator at Chatham Historical Dockyard will give a fascinating talk with a “then and now approach”. It will be like a guided tour around the site with a general historical overview. This will include specific details of the buildings and vessels, and what they do now, both for visitors and in the wider sense.. Hear about the ships Gannet, Ocelot and Cavalier, the lifeboats, the steam locomotives and much more!
Thursday, 9th March 2017 – Captain James Cook RN – Nigel Rigby
- A talk on Britain’s greatest mariner explorer, navigator and cartographer. Cook made detailed maps of Newfoundland prior to making three voyages to the Pacific Ocean. During this time he achieved the first recorded European contact with the eastern coastline of Australia and the Hawaiian Islands together with the first recorded circumnavigation of New Zealand. Nigel also hopes to bring various exhibits to show during the evening.
Please contact the CA Office for more information, telephone 0207 537 2828 or email Clifford Mickleburgh Section Secretary – Kent Section firstname.lastname@example.org